Bridging Overseas Networking and Exchange (B.O.N.E) Program
The Bridging Overseas Networking and Exchange (B.O.N.E) Program is an ANZBMS Early Career Investigator Committee (ECIC) initiative, established in 2018, to address the limited opportunity and funds for invited presentations for early career investigators (ECI) in the musculoskeletal field. This program will boost ECIs track records, increase their exposure, provide travel support, and facilitate international networking and collaboration – together enabling more competitive track records for future funding opportunities.
The ECIC aims to collaborate with 1-2 international societies every year for this program. Each year, the respective societies will nominate five outstanding ECIs who are members of their respective societies. These names will then be passed on to the Program Organising Committee (POC) Chairs of the collaborating society. The ANZBMS Program Organising Committee (POC) will invite one ECI from the collaborating society as an invited speaker at the annual scientific meeting. In a reciprocal agreement, that society's POC will select and invite one ANZBMS ECI to their annual scientific meeting as an invited speaker. As an invited speaker at the respective annual scientific meeting, the ECI will also have the opportunity to co-chair one or more sessions and get involved in other networking activities.
The candidate must:
- have a PhD
- a conferral date of <10 years post-PhD (taking into consideration career disruptions)
- be a financial ANZBMS member for at least 12 months
Post Award Requirements
- The invited speaker must submit a report (500 words) with photos within 2 months of returning, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. The report should detail what conference they attended, how it benefited them, any collaborations formed and how this entire experience benefited their research career. The report and photos will be used in the ECIC newsletter.
- Invoices must be sent to ANZBMS (email@example.com) to be reimbursed.
The invited ECI will receive*:
- free ASM registration.
- free tickets to the social functions at the ASM.
- up to $2,500 AUD for travel expenses (flights and accommodation).
*This will be paid/organised by the Society that has invited the ECI.
Nominations for this award are made by senior ANZBMS members in January of each year. Nominated applications will then be asked via for a brief CV for Council approval prior to be sent onto the POC of the collaborating society.
2023 Michaela Tencerova, Lama Alabdulaaly
2022 Timo Damm, Monika Frysz
2020 Kylie Alexander
2019 Michelle McDonald